The Fountain (الحاووز) Erected in the first half of the 20th century (1923) as engraved on its memorial plaque that praises the exceptional quality of Lebanon’s water, especially that of the Midane Square in Hammana, `the most delicious of all`, the fountain is built with pink stones from Aleppo. Its central location at the urban heart of the city epitomizes Hammana’s renowned abundance of water sources. As described in an academic study from 1927, water used to flow day and night in abundance within the fountain, which comes as a replica of the one located at the “Jardin des Arts et Métiers” in Beirut and is believed to hold a symbolic sculptural Freemasonic value.
We can read the following inscription on the stone :
The waters of Lebanon, sisters to wine,/ their excellence throughout history renowned,/flow through the earth to the air,,/ only to revitalize body and soul. /Come, quench your thirst with these blessed waters,/ at the most delicious of all in the Midane of Hammana.,/
Erected in 1923, at the time of Sheikh Amine Nemr Bechara