Another place of pilgrimage worth seeing located at the northern outskirts of the village that was built at the dawn of the 20th century (1907)…
The 19th Century Silk Mills During the 19th century Hammana took part in silk worm breeding, like many other villages in Mount Lebanon, and saw the proliferation of both local and French spinning mills at a time where Lyon silk manufacturers were seeking quality cocoons at low prices. A 1927 study accounts for five spinning mills in Hammana with a 300-strong workforce, producing nearly 1,500 kgs of silk, destined for the Lyon and Damascus markets. Two of these spinning mills have been restored.
The Gustave Malpertuis Mill A beautiful large 19th century building restored at the end of the 70s, currently housing the Hammana Public High School.
The Testenoire Mill After being abandoned in 1895, it was subsequently bought by nuns of the Good Shepherd Monastery to house their convent. When you visit the Virgin of Lourdes, make sure to have a look at the building behind the arcades. Its sober and pure lines betray its ancient use. It is in fact the oldest building of the monastery, restored a few years ago.